Real Madrid turn to Aurélien Tchouameni after Kylian Mbappé’s snub
The summer transfer window is approaching, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Madrid turn to Tchouameni after Mbappe snob
Following confirmation that Kylian Mbappe will remain at Paris Saint-Germain this summer, Real Madrid are now recalibrating their transfer plans and prioritizing snapping up players in key positions rather than rushing into the forward market.
sport says it means finalizing signing of AS Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameniwho is considered the perfect player to replace Dani Ceballos.
Forward Mbappe had been Madrid’s top priority for months – so much so that Madrid pulled out of the race to sign Borussia Dortmund. Erling Haaland before agreeing a transfer of 60 million euros to Manchester City – and Mbappe had been the subject of intense speculation with his contract due to expire this summer.
However, Saturday’s news that Mbappe has signed a new three-year deal with the Ligue 1 champions – much to La Liga’s chagrin – means Madrid are adjusting their plans accordingly.
Tchouameni, 22, has been impressive for Monaco this season and has been linked with clubs including Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool. However, Los Blancos Boss Carlo Ancelotti is confident he can give the Frenchman a try in the Spanish capital.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
11.02 BST: Barcelona have made their first formal offer to sign the Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowskiaccording to Picture.
Lewandowski, 33, wants to leave the German champions before his contract expires in 2023 but Bayern are unwilling to let him go as he is still one of the best strikers in world football.
Barcelona, who have little money to spend this summer, reportedly made an offer of €32m but it was rejected as Bayern want around €40m.
10:52 BST: Marseille midfielder Boubacar Kamara says he will leave the club on a free transfer this summer.
Kamara, 22, helped Marseille return to the Champions League on the final day of the campaign but is keen for a new challenge and has been linked with Newcastle, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Atletico Madrid, Roma, Chelsea and Man United.
“I made my decision, which is not to renew and to leave OM at the end of this season,” he told Téléfoot. “I think it’s the best decision for the rest of my career.
“I am at a point in my career where I want to progress, to discover a new challenge, a new championship. I have chosen my future club, you will know who it is soon.”
10:00 a.m. BST: sporting director of Paris Saint-Germain Leonardo could be replaced by Luis Campos after Kylian Mbappeturned around to stay at the club, sources have told ESPN.
Mbappe is set to sign a three-year contract, snubbing a much-anticipated transfer to Real Madrid, after a turnaround following months of negotiations between the two clubs.
Sources have told ESPN that one of the key points in Mbappe’s talks with PSG centered on Leonardo, with whom he has a rocky relationship.
In one of several rounds of talks held with the PSG hierarchy, Mbappe said he didn’t like Leonardo as the club’s sporting director next season and identified transfer guru Campos as an alternative.
Campos was at Monaco when Mbappe burst onto the scene and won the Ligue 1 title in 2017, as well as the Champions League semi-finals. The 57-year-old has a reputation for unearthing top talent and securing big transfer fees for hidden gems, with Mbappe being one of many notable successes.
09:00 BST: Paul Pogba is considering a return offer to Juventus, sources have told ESPN.
The midfielder is expected to leave Manchester United when his contract expires at the end of June.
Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain are interested in signing Pogba on a free transfer this summer and the 29-year-old has a concrete offer on the table at the Serie A side.
Sources have told ESPN that Pogba is yet to make a final decision and has not ruled out a move to PSG, although Juventus are, for now, seen as the favorites to clinch the Cup winner of the world.
Manchester City have also shown interest, although sources have told ESPN their preference is to move overseas.
Rodrigo Faez discusses Real Madrid’s reaction to reports that Kylian Mbappe will stay at PSG.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)
– fabrice romano reports that Juventus are aiming Angel Di Maria in a busy start to the summer. With Paul Pogba Already considering a bid from Max Allegri’s side, it is now the former United winger Di Maria who is in ‘advanced’ talks between the two sides, with the Argentine striker bidding farewell to PSG in the 5-0 win Saturday in Metz.
– Fulham want to talk Nemanja Mátic after leaving Manchester United at the end of the season, according to the Sun. The new Premier League players plan to strengthen their squad after returning to the top flight, and they are particularly keen to add someone of Matic’s experience. Fulham are confident they can entice the former Chelsea midfielder to return to west London. The 33-year-old is a free agent this summer after revealing he won’t be staying at Old Trafford after Sunday’s final game of the season. Fulham are also monitoring the Nottingham Forest defender Joe Worral.
– Everton boss Frank Lampard is planning staff changes at Goodison Park this summer and high on his list is the Chelsea defender Levi Colwill. The 19-year-old loanee helped Huddersfield to the playoff final this season, and now Lampard will be hoping he can provide the rising star with some regular top-flight football. Lampard maintained a good relationship with Chelsea after leaving as manager and, after coaching mason mount and Fikayo Tomori loaned while in charge at Derby, the Sun says he hopes to use his old contacts again and bring Colwill to Merseyside.
– The goalkeeper carousel continues this summer. First are Newcastle’s attempts to attract Dean Henderson at St James’ Park, and now with Tottenham eyeing the Southampton keeper Fraser Forster (according to Jock), Manchester United are now favorites to land Sam Johnson of West Bromwich Albion. Spurs had also been linked with Johnstone, but United are keen to bring him back to Manchester, according to the shimmer.
– AS Roma intend to build a team capable of fighting for a Champions League spot next season, and Feyenoord Marcos Senesi is seen as a player who can help them do just that. It depends Calciomercatowho believes boss Jose Mourinho has been so impressed with the 25-year-old’s performance in the Europa Conference League that he now wants to sign the Argentina Under-20 international.