Introducing new features to Facebook groups
Building community is central to Facebook’s mission to bring the world together, and while community has made its way into every corner of the app, groups continue to be the central place people go to do more. together.
In fact, most people on Facebook are members of at least 15 active groups, and there are over 100 million groups joined every day.
Today we’re hosting the Facebook Communities Summit for the sixth year, announcing a number of changes to help people engage more deeply with the things that matter to them, strengthen community culture, and make it easier to manage their groups. by the administrators.
New ways to engage more deeply with your communities
As people come to Facebook to discover content and communities, we’re adding more ways to connect on common interests.
- Reels in groups allow you to express your voice in your communities through creative and immersive videos. With Reels now in Groups, community members can share information, tell stories, and connect on a deeper level. Imagine people in a makeup-obsessed group sharing their latest beauty techniques and discoveries with other members. Admins and group members can also add creative elements like audio, text overlay, and filters on top of their videos before sharing to bring their stories to life.
- The ability to share a public Facebook event for your community on your Instagram story. Whether you’re a group admin hosting a get-together to celebrate a community milestone or a group member sharing your passion with friends, this feature can help you showcase your community more broadly.
- We test updates to your group profile to facilitate building community relationships and connecting with other members. With these new updates, you can:
- Personalize the information in your About Me section to highlight the information you want to share with your community. This can help admins and members get to know each other better and create content that best reflects the interests of the group.
- Add a flag to your profile if you are open to messaging. It can help other like-minded members know that you are ready to connect over common interests.
Earlier this year, we announced that admins can start creating chains as a way to connect with their groups in smaller, more casual settings. For instance, Community chats, which lets people connect in real time around the topics that matter to them via text, audio and video, is now available in more than 140 countries worldwide. Black Girls Culinary, a Facebook group where people share their latest recipes, uses community chats to create chat channels for a topic like Meatless Mondays and audio channels to discuss cooking tips in real time. They can also seamlessly add a event chat to group events, allowing people to discuss events before, during and after they take place. We are also testing the ability for group admins and moderators to create read-only chats to send one-way communications to all of their members without having to actively maintain or respond to messages in chat, so they can stay up to date on important group information. Administrators and moderators can also use a admin-only chat for instant collaboration.
Experiences organized by the administration to develop the culture
Administrators have new tools to help them effectively manage and advance their group culture in an engaging, helpful and accountable way:
- Community contributions: We’re testing a new way for admins to highlight top contributing members, who can Earn points by taking an active role with a set of responsibilities in the community or receiving feedback and comments on posts. For instance, gaming communities can identify helpful tips that other members share about new features, games, and characters. By accumulating points, top contributing members will earn badges to display on their group profiles, making it easier for admins to select members for roles.
- Socialist: We’re testing a new role for admins to recognize active members who help others feel welcomed, connected, and motivated to contribute to a community. For example, the socializers of Music festival communities can be recognized for sharing their festival experiences and motivating others to do the same by sharing photos and videos.
- Assistant administrator: We are sharing new updates on this feature, which helps admins effectively moderate their groups by automatically taking action based on specific criteria they define:
- New treatments for false information: To help ensure that content is more trustworthy for the wider community, group admins can automatically move posts containing information deemed false by third-party fact checkers (whether posts are identified as containing false information before or after being posted to their group) to pending messages so admins can review them before deleting them. Learn more about our third-party fact-checking program here.
- Daily Summary: Group admins can easily see how Admin Assist helps them manage their community with a new daily summary of actions taken in a community based on criteria set by admins.
- Reported by Facebook: As we shared in our recent Report on the application of Community standardsWe’re testing an extension in Flagged by Facebook that gives certain administrators of eligible groups the ability to use additional context and allow certain content that might otherwise be flagged for removal as bullying and harassment. We use various criteria to define a group’s eligibility for this feature, including that the group admin must not have been the admin of a group that we previously removed. Using this test, an admin of a group of aquarium enthusiasts could allow a flagged comment that called a fish “fat,” which was not intended to be offensive. We always require groups to follow our policies and will remove non-compliant content that is reported to us.
Community Acceleration Program
The 2022 Community Acceleration Program provides community leaders with four months of training, mentorship and funding to help them deepen the impact of their community through meta technologies. Today we announce selected participants this year of the whole world.