Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie yearbook photos revealed as friend says couple who met in high school “have always had drama”
GABBY Petito and Brian Laundrie’s yearbook photos were first revealed as the couple’s friends say high school lovers “have always had drama” with each other.
Gabby and Brian met at Bayport-Blue Point High School in Long Island, New York, when she was in second grade and he in junior. Their phone book photos were first obtained by Fox news.
The couple’s friends described their relationship as being over and over again, to the point that it was sometimes difficult to know whether they were still together or not.
“One minute they were overlapping, the next minute he was like, ‘We’re fighting,’” Laundrie’s friend Ben Matula told PEOPLE.
“They’ve always had a drama.”
“There was always something below the surface where things weren’t 100% wonderful,” he added.
“VERY LOW LOW”
Gabby’s high school friend Alyssa Chen shared the same observation about the couple’s volatile love, but said she saw nothing serious between the two.
“I never saw any kind of physical abuse,” Chen told the outlet. “They had really highs and very low lows. But she always said he was a good boyfriend.”
Gabby and Brian separated for several months after graduation from Laundrie in 2016. They finally got back together when Gabby graduated from high school the following year.
After Gabby’s graduation, the couple ultimately decided not to go to college and instead moved in with Brian’s parents in Bay Port, Florida.
Read our Gabby Petito live blog for the latest news and updates …
She found work as a pharmacy technician and waitress, while Laundrie sold her watercolors and digital artwork.
They got engaged in July 2020, according to one of Gabby’s Instagram posts.
“Brian asked me to marry him and I said yes! read the post, which added: “You make life unreal, and every day is such a dream with you.”
When the coronavirus pandemic hit in March 2020, the couple decided to put their engagement on hold because they “couldn’t have the marriage they wanted.”
Instead, the couple – inspired by YouTube videos and their love for travel – decided to pool their money to buy and reuse a Ford Transit van to embark on a cross-country trip through the parks. nationals of the country.
Brian and Gabby left on the trip in mid-July of this year, documenting their trips on social media.
However, the idyllic and picturesque snapshots shared by the couple became a thin facade when Brian returned home alone from the trip two months earlier on September 1, with Gabby nowhere to be found.
Brian failed to report Gabby’s disappearance or provide her family with an explanation as to where she might be.
He would have acted “regardless of the world” upon his return, neighbors said, mowing the front yard and enjoying idyllic bike rides with his mother.
He went camping with his parents on September 6 at Fort De Soto Park.
Gabby was eventually reported missing by her mother in New York on September 11.
Then, on September 14, Brian reportedly disappeared after telling his parents he was going on a hike in the Carlton Reservation.
But they didn’t report Brian’s disappearance until three days later, when police arrived at their home.
BRIAN ALWAYS BIG
Gabby’s remains were found by investigators at a campsite near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on September 19.
The manner in which she died has been tentatively considered homicide, however, the cause of death has not yet been made public.
Laundrie is not currently considered a suspect in Gabby’s murder, but is considered a person of interest.
He also has an arrest warrant against him for bank fraud allegations after he allegedly racked up $ 1,000 in fees on a debit card believed to have belonged to Gabby.
Law enforcement is still looking for traces of laundry in the Carlton Preserve, as TV star Dog the Bounty Hunter scours Fort De Soto.
Gabby’s mother Nichole Schmidt first tweeted on Saturday, writing: “Mama Bear is getting mad! Speak up!”
Brian Laundrie’s parents, meanwhile, denied helping their son escape police and insisted they didn’t know his whereabouts.
Their lawyer, Steve Bertolino, said in a statement on Saturday: “They are worried, but hope he will be found alive.”
Gabby Petito timeline
Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a Utah hotel. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:
- June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie have embarked on a journey through the United States.
- 4th July – Gabby posts pictures of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself in Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves in Zion National Park, Utah.
- August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no serious injuries had been reported.
- August 19 – Gabby and Brian are posting a video on their YouTube channel about their trip.
- 24 august – Gabby is seen leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- August 25 – Gabby Facetime her mother, Nichole Schmidt, for the last time. In a subsequent police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed “growing tension” between her and Brian.
- 25 august – Gabby also posts her latest Instagram. No location is indicated.
- August 27 – Gabby is seen for what is believed to be the last time. Witnesses claim to see Brian in an explosive argument with restaurant staff in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
- August 27 – Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park drive past the couple’s “abandoned” van on a dirt road.
- September 1st – Brian goes home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11th – Gabby’s parents report her disappearance to Suffolk County Police.
- September 14 – Brian’s family release a statement saying he has retained a lawyer and will not cooperate with investigators.
- September 14 – Brian was reportedly last seen by his family. He reportedly told them he was going to hike the Cartlon Preserve but did not return.
- September 15th – North Port Florida Police say Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
- September 16 – Utah Police are releasing body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 – Brian’s parents say they haven’t seen their son for a few days and report his missing.
- September 18 – Police say they were looking for Brian on the Carlton reservation in Florida. The police say they haven’t found anything.
- September 19 – Wyoming officials say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI announces that the body is Gabby’s, but a full forensic identification must first be completed to confirm.
- September 20 – Police execute a search warrant at Laundrie’s home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain “relevant evidence to prove a crime has been committed.”
- September 21 – Authorities say they will perform an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police have also resumed their search for the laundromat, this time on the Venice side of the Carlton reserve.
- September 21 – The FBI announced that the body found in Wyoming was Gabby’s. The cause of death has not yet been revealed.
- September 21 – The Teton County Coroner’s Office said Gabby’s official cause of death was still pending, but the original mode of death was homicide.
- September 22 – Police continue to search the Carlton reservation for a trace of Laundrie, but give no leads. A specialized diving team is called in to assist in the hunt.
- 23 september – Authorities have announced that a federal arrest warrant has been issued for Brian.
- September 26 – Gabby’s funeral was held in Long Island, New York.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the US Sun team?